Information for Parents

Parents Rights


There is now a Charter of Rights for Parents and Carers with Disability involved with Child Protection in Victoria

This is a link to the Charter for Parents in Victoria (this is not an easy read document)

3211 Charter Of Rights For Parents And Carers With Disabilities Involved With Child Protection In Victoria


This is a link to the Easy Read Information Booklet about the Charter for Parents in Victoria

3212 Easy Read Version -Charter Of Rights For Parents And Carers With Disabilities Involved With Child Protection In Victoria



There are Charters of Rights for Parents with Disability in Queensland and Western Australia as well, please see links below

Queensland Charter of Rights for Parents

Western Australia Charter of Rights for Parents


Parents have the right to:

  • Be a Parent
  • To have the same rights as all parents
  • Speak up for yourself
  • Be listened to
  • Have programs made to meet your needs – this could include extra time and support
  • Have information given to you in Plain English or the best way you understand
  • Get help
  • Ask for support and get support
  • Have the right kind of support
  • Have support to attend access visits with their children
  • Ask for Advocacy
  • Get Advocacy
  • Get legal support
  • Ask child protection to come back or call back when you have support with you
  • Ask child protection for copies of all documents
  • Ask child protection questions
  • Be told the truth
  • Change your goals in your NDIS plan as soon as possible – a new goal can be – “To be the best parent I can be”
  • Ask your NDIS support coordinator, planner or LAC to help you make your NDIS plan show what extra support you will need because of your disability

What Child Protection might look for when they remove your child

Child Protection may look for things like:

  • Do you have the right supports in place? – this could be from family, friends, services, support workers and an NDIS plan
  • Is your home safe- are there things on the floor that your baby/child might put in their mouth and choke on?
  • Is your home dangerous- are there power cords showing that your child may touch?
  • Is your home clean – is your kitchen clean for making baby bottles?
  • Is there Family Violence in your house?
  • Are people using drugs in your house?

Child Protection want children to be safe.

If there has been a report made to child protection about your child, child protection will investigate.

What to do if Child Protection contact you

Don’t panic

Stay calm

Get support : support can be from family members, friends, an Advocate a support worker or your NDIS support coordinator

Do you need Legal advice or an Advocate?


Please see contacts below


Legal Aid

Independent Family and Advocacy Support


STAR Victoria: Advocate


VALID: Advocate


Disability Discrimination Legal Service



Office of the Public Advocate


Helpful Links for parents


NDIS (National Disability Insurance Scheme)

Do you have an NDIS plan

Your NDIS plan can help you with goals

One of your goals can be – to be the best parent you can be

Here is a link to the National Disability Insurance Scheme


Public Transport Victoria

MYKI register

If you register your MYKI card, child protection can put money on your myki card to help travel to access visits


Public Transport Victoria Travel Access Pass

You might be eligible for free public transport in Victoria

Click link below


Companion Card

You might be entitled to get the companion card

The companion card can get your support worker into activities for free- including public transport

Click link below


VALID (Victorian Advocacy League for Individuals with Disability)

VALID has made this document called Steps to Speaking Up

It has lots of information about what you can do if Child Protection contact you

Click the link to find out more

The Family Inclusion Network Vic

Has information about dealing with child protection

Click the link below to find out more

The Bumpy Road

Easy English fact sheets for parents dealing with the child protection system. Advice from parents with lived experience. (some information will be for NSW only)


Skip to content